Imprisoned Shan politician in need of health treatment
A member of New Generation Shan State (NGSS) U Tun Nyo, who was sentenced to 79 year jail on 3 November 2005 along with other elected Shan leaders in desperately in need of health treatment, according to reliable sources.
Hseng Khio Fah
5 November 2008
On 24 October, a niece of U Tun Nyo, visited him due to his poor health conditions. He has been suffering from heart attack and hypertension.
“His mouth and face have turned black. He also can’t speak too much,” said a source.
The family applied to the jail warden to have him treated, but properly was denied. “The doctor comes regularly to him,” a source quoted jail warden as saying.
Sources said, he did not receive any medicine and injection from the doctor.
However, the family will apply to the authorities again to have his treatment at outside, said the source.
U Tun Nyo was arrested with the other Shan leaders for defamation of the state, association with illegal parties and conspiracy against the state. He was sentenced at Buthidaung prison, Araken State. The said Shan leaders were also separately imprisoned.
- Maj-Gen Hso Ten 106 years Khamti prison
- Khun Tun Oo (Hkun Htun Oo) 93 years Putao prison
- Sai Nyunt Lwin, 85 years Kalay, Sagaing division.
- Sai Hla Aung 79 years Kyaukphyu prison
- U Myint Than 79 years Sandoway prison (died on 2 May 2006)
- U Tun Nyo 79 years Buthidaung prison
- U Nyi Nyi Moe 79 years Pakokku prison
- Sai Myo Win Tun 79 years Myingyan prison
- Sao Tha Oo 12 years Released